Saturday, August 27, 2005

Afternoon Links

Some worthwhile reading for you on this the last Saturday in August

- Political Musings points out what may have been a foiled suicide bomber plan. Let me say good job to the Customs folks in Chicago and let me also say that I think the "flypaper" approach was intentional by the Bush administration.

- Greg has a good post on Father O'Grady - a hero of Omaha Beach. Very inspirational stuff.

- Gerard Van der Leun has a very touching story about his namesake. I've read this before but was reminded about it by The Anchoress. Gerard is IMHO perhaps the best writer in the blogosphere.
"Gerard Van der Leun" was, of course, not me. He was someone else entirely. Someone who had been born, lived, and died before I was even conceived. He was my father's middle brother. He was what my family had given to stop Fascism, Totalitarianism and genocide in the Second World War. He was one of their three sons. He was dead before he was 22 years old. His body never recovered, the exact time and place of his death over the Atlantic, unknown.
Its a long read (as posts go) but well worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment