Sunday, January 29, 2006

Hockey and the Supreme Court

Real fans of the NHL are truly passionate about the sport. People who follow the Supreme Court are just as passionate. I've recently come to realize that I don't share the passion for either of those things.

I guess I'm more of a sports fan than a hockey fan. This fact dawned on me when I realized that I probably couldn't name you the top two lines for the Boston Bruins and would be hard pressed to name the top line of any other hockey team. When I was a kid I could name every player on the Bruins (and Canadiens) as well as the top line for just about every team. I just don't have the passion anymore.

In regards to the Supreme Court, something Big Stupid Tommy pointed out proved to me that this wasn't something I was passionate about either. Tommy had a test - who can you name more of - all 9 of the main characters from the Brady Bunch or all 9 Justices on the Supreme Court? Well I had no problem with the Brady Bunch but I missed one justice on the Supreme Court (damn you John Paul Stevens for being woodwork).

I'm not ashamed about not being passionate about the NHL or the Supreme Court. Just the opposite. I think my lack of passion for these two subjects is the norm. Something hit me the other night . I was watching a re-run of The West Wing. It was the episode where Jed Bartlett was going to nominate two justices for the Supreme Court (played by Glenn Close and William Fichtner who is a classic "that guy" - you know a guy who has been in a ton of roles and who you recognize but just can't remember his name). In that episode Bartlett complained a couple of times about four thousand protesters outside the White house who were there because they cared so much about the Supreme Court appointees. In real life there may be a couple of hand-fulls of protesters and most of them are not there for the Supreme Court. Likewise in real-life - the televised NHL All-Star game gets about the same ratings as the opening game of the Arena Football League.

Don't get me wrong - I still care about the NHL and the Supreme Court - just not as passionately as baseball or Presidential elections.

No comments:

Post a Comment