Monday, January 16, 2006

NFL Weekend, 5 Turnovers and Tequila Kicks My Ass

I had way too much to drink on Saturday and yesterday I was a big slug watching games prone from the couch. I picked three out of the four games right but it was the one game that I got wrong that I cared about and it was that one game that I loaded up on.

Saturday I was out with the boys and honestly I could have paced myself much better. I started off by drinking large Tanqueray and cranberry drinks (or gin and juice as my friend likes to call it) during the Seattle game. I switched over to drinking straight Tequila during the Patriots game. If I was driving then my friends would have intervened but as it was I didn't even get shut off (even though I was probably in the black on the buddy wheel). Funny enough on Sunday I didn't feel hung over (I didn't have a headache) - more beat up and sore all over.

Subconsciously I may have been numbing myself because I knew that the Patriots run was over.

5 turnovers! 5 friggin' turnovers! There's no way you win a game when you turn the ball over 5 times (unless you are playing the Jets). I won't say that the Patriots beat themselves though. If the shoe was on the other foot I would be talking about how good teams create turnovers by the other team and protect the ball themselves. If it was the Broncos with 5 turnovers then I would be praising the Patriots for causing those turnovers. Denver was just the better team on Saturday.

With the Patriots out of it - my zest for the NFL has dropped off a cliff. Last week SI's Dr. Z spoke about being at his saturation point and that feeling rang true for me as well. I'll still watch the games but I probably won't read much about them. For what its worth - I'm rooting for either Seattle or Pittsburgh to win it all.

I can't get into the Bruins or Celtics because neither team is going anywhere. How can you get excited by teams that would consider just making the playoffs a success and would surely be first round fodder? College ball? Well March Madness will be upon us fairly soon but again I have no passion for any team.

Thank God pitchers and catcher report in 33 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment