Tuesday, January 24, 2006

US Pond Hockey Championships

The US Pond Hockey Championships - this is the first I've heard about this event and all I can say is "Why wasn't this broadcast on ESPN2?" I could spend hours watching the action from an event like this. I learned about the championships from Katie's Beer whose dad at 67 was still lacing 'em up and who had this insight:
The one observation my dad made was that playing on the difficult surface of the lake - choppy, dull and very bumpy - was that it made the ice the great equalizer. Teams of superstars were defeated by just regular guys. The difficult surface of the ice made the game fair for all. His team, champs in their age bracket on indoor ice, fell to other teams of less experienced guys. He didn't mind. In fact, he said that he understood the game - as played on the pond - and had a game plan set for next year's games.
Katie also informs us that Pond Hockey - The Movie is in the works and all I can say is where and when. I'll be there to see that in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment