Thursday, January 26, 2006

OK - I'll Say It!

Chris Penn is dead and many people are saddened by that fact but honestly I don't see the big deal. I don't mean to be crass but as far as I know Chris Penn was famous for two things - playing Nice Guy Eddie in Reservoir Dogs and being Sean Penn's brother. I asked someone last night what else Chris Penn had done and they replied, "Well he was pretty good in Corky Romano." "Corky Romano?" asked I. "Yeah - I know the movie sucked but Penn was pretty good in it." "I'll have to take your word on that because I have no plans to ever watch Corky Romano," said I.

To me Chris Penn was always Brian Doyle Penn. You know the brother of a famous actor who gets just enough roles to live a very decent lifestyle. Bill Murray had Brian Doyle Murray and Sean Penn had Chris Penn.

Speaking of the Penn's - I should say that I think Sean Penn is a great actor but pretty much an asswipe of a person. Chris Penn also had a brother Michael who I remember being at some award show back when he had that hit song No Myth. Anyway, Michael Penn was there all dressed in white as were every member of Penn's posse. I wouldn't have been one bit surprised to read somewhere that the entire entourage all donned their Reebok sneakers and drank the cool-aid to catch a ride on the nearest comet.

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure Chris Penn was a great guy and my heart goes out to his loved ones but I do feel bad that in our society people like Chris Penn get famous while people like Brian Chontosh live their lives in obscurity. Maybe if Chontosh was in Corky Romano he'd get the recognition he deserves.

No comments:

Post a Comment