Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Hall of Fame Tuesday

Today the results of this years Hall of Fame ballots are announced. I don't have a vote but if I did - the following players would have their names checked:

- Jim Rice - no player has averaged a .300 batting average over a 10-year period and not been inducted. Six times Rice was top 5 in MVP voting (including the 1978 MVP).

- Andre Dawson - the National League Jim Rice. Although he was only top 5 in MVP voting 3 times (including the 1987 MVP) - Dawson also had 8 Gold Gloves to his name. He was the Vlade Guerrero of his day.

- Alan Trammell the man defined the Tigers as much as Cal Ripkin defined the Orioles. He doesn't have A-Rod's power numbers but he did hit 4th which says alot about the differences in eras.

That's it for my ballot. No Burt Blyleven (he cared about strikeouts the way Wade Boggs cared about singles and I'll be happy if he's stiffed). No Rich Gossage (sorry Yankee fans). No Bruce Sutter (I came close to putting him on my imaginary ballot though). Jack Morris and Tommy John were also tough to leave off my ballot.

Anyone voting for Gary DiSarcina should have their credentials revoked but there's always one joker in the crowd.

No comments:

Post a Comment