Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Congrats to Bruce Cassidy

Former Boston Bruins head coach has been hired to be the head coach of the Las Vegas Golden Knights. Congrats coach! Just 10-days out of a job. 

I'm of two minds on the Bruins firing Cassidy. First I strongly believe in the Scotty Bowman rule - that a head coach should never stay beyond 8-years with a team. Bowman was the greatest coach in NHL history and he never did despite the success in Montreal, Pittsburgh and Detroit. Although Cassidy was only coach for six seasons - he was an assistant in Boston before that. So maybe close enough to the 8-year rule?

However, I don't like that Cassidy seems to have been made the scapegoat for not going further this postseason. What about GM Don Sweeney or team President Cam Neeley? If you're placing blame - shouldn't they be sharing the blame equally? Hate to say it because Neeley was one of my favorite Bruins ever but he's starting to give off John Elway with the Denver Broncos type vibes. Maybe number 8 is in over his head as the team's top executive?

With Las Vegas now having former Boston coaches heading both the Raiders and Golden Knights I can see many New Englanders adopting Las Vegas teams as their second favorites to root for in the NHL and NFL. I know I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment