Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Book Meme

Eric at Off Wing Opinion asked me to do this meme and who am I to refuse the Glenn Reynolds of sports blogging? My titles are more general in nature and not sports centric like Eric's.

1. Number of books?

Like Eric most of my books are in boxes. I would estimate about 500 total. My wife is involved with a mothers group and each year they have a yard sale to which I contribute about 50 books (which helps to thin the herd - so to speak). A side benefit to this generousity is that I get to pick from the other books donated to the sale for free. This usually nets me between 6-12 new titles (most of which get re-donated back to the yard sale the next year).

2. Most recent purchase

Super System II by Dolye Brunson. You really have to love poker to appreciate this book. I leaned much from Mike Caro's chapter that I was able to use in my business life.

3. Currently reading

Super System II by Doyle Brunson, The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara (I'll post more about this later today) and Three Centuries of Harvard by Samuel Eliot Morison. This last title was written in 1936 for the tri-centennial of Harvard (I found it at a book sale at a local town library).

My most recent sports titles were Idiot by Johnny Damon and Juiced by Jose Canseco. Damon's book was by far the best I've read on last year's World Series Champs and Juiced was better than expected too (maybe because I expected the worst).

4.A Five books that "meant the most"

(No particular order)

- The Razor's Edge by Sommerset Maugham. I picked up this book my senior year in high school and I've re-read it about 10 times since. I can't explain my attachment to this book but its "follow your bliss" message was Joseph Cambellish before Joseph Campbell was big.

- Trinity by Leon Uris. I'm first generation Irish and this book helped me connect with the history of the land of my parents.

- The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara. If I had my way this book would be required reading for all high school students.

- The New Bill James Baseball Abstract. It's Bill James!

- Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkein. Actually had to read his for a college English class and was hooked.

4.B. Worst book of all time

A Separate Peace by John Knowles. Any Englsih teacher who makes their students read this crap should be made to teach how to work a fryolator at McDonald's.

5. Next up?

Looking for 5 volunteers to continue the meme. If you take up the challenge - let me know in the comments and I'll link to your answers.

- Lyford has his list up (I had a feeling that he had a ton of books)
- Lee at Merc's Place has his responce up (he also did one for video games)

No comments:

Post a Comment