Sunday, October 10, 2021

How to Read Hard Books

5-tips on how to read "difficult" books.

Glad the author included that it is OK to give up on a book in her last tip. Took me decades to learn that (I used to stubbornly refuse not to finish most books no matter how bad I thought they were). Today if a book isn't grabbing me by about page 50 - I'll put it down and pick up something else. Maybe some other day I'll be in the mood to pick that book back up.

Life's too short to read bad books.

(HT Daddypundit)

3 comments:

  1. Largebill689:16 AM

    That is one of the liberating things about getting older. Reading should be both educating and entertaining. I'll have several books I'm reading at any one time, and any of them could be fired at any time.

    A recent one I'd recommend is "Hero of Two Worlds" by Mike Duncan. It's a biography of Marquis de Lafayette and very well written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the same way - currently reading 4 books. Also big on re-reading books I like.

    Thanks for the book recommendation. I put it on my Wish List.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill - just realized Mike Duncan wrote The Storm Before the Storm an excellent history of Rome before Julius Caesar. Highly recommend that one too.

    ReplyDelete