Tuesday, February 02, 2021

A Tom Hanks Kick

Lately I seem to be on a bit of a Tom Hanks kick.

Sunday I went to see his new movie News of the World - at a movie theater! This was probably the first time I'd been in a movie theater since maybe last February. It was a bit strange. I went with my girlfriend and there was only one other couple there. It was almost like having the place to ourselves.

The movie itself was entertaining. My girlfriend liked it but if I'm honest it was a bit predictable and if Tom Hanks wasn't the star - I probably would not have gone to see it.  IMDB has it rated as 6.8 Stars out of 10 and that seems about right.

Last week I re-watched Charlie Wilson's War - the 2007 Hanks vehicle which is similarly rated by IMDB (7 out of 10 Stars) but to me that movie had better pacing and dialog. 

Recently I also read the C.S. Forester novel The Good Shepard mainly because Tom Hanks just did a movie based on the book called Greyhound (which I have not seen). I had heard Hanks describe the book/movie on a Dan Carlin podcast

Strangely enough, of the movies and the book - it was probably the podcast I most enjoyed. Anyway - been on a bit of a Tom Hanks kick lately.  

3 comments:

  1. Charlie Wilson's War was very close to the real events. A very good movie worth re-watching. A shame Philip Seymour Hoffman is no longer with us. You will enjoy Greyhound, Tom Hanks in another Captain role. He did a great job as Captain Phillips

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the movie Captain Phillips. Re watched Bachelor Party, one of his first roles, and that was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't have Apple TV so it will probably be some time before I see Greyhound.

    Funny but reading the book I never picture the character as Hanks. The Captain was always more Paul Newman circa The Verict looking in my head.

    ReplyDelete