Saturday, July 16, 2005

Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

I went to a midnight event at my local bookstore last night and picked up 3 copies of the new Harry Potter book. The store has a cafe and I awaited midnight with my two oldest kids there - drinking gingerale and eating french fries. I often go to this cafe and most of the waitresses know me. It is a great place to sit and read while having something to eat or drink.

The place was absolutely jam packed. However, the store had put in place a system for getting people their books as quickly as possible once the clock struck 12:00. You bought your book(s) at one of five registers at any time before 12:00. The store had set up the boxes and boxes of books at two spots on either side of the exit. You got into one of two lines and when you got to one of the stacks of books, you showed your receipt. One person checked your receipt and a second gave you the books from the huge stack. Even though hundreds of people bought books - the last person got their books about 12:30.

I've enjoyed what I've read so far but my reaction was predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment