Friday, July 01, 2005

War of the Worlds

I saw the Spielberg / Cruise summertime vehicle yesterday and while it was 2-hours of mindless fun it also made me think that this was one re-make that didn't need to be made. The movie was OK. That is to say that after the first big box-office weekend - don't expect this movie to break any records. It didn't leave you saying "wow that was great - can't wait to see it again." It only left me saying "I really gotta pee."

In fact of the two intergalactic "end of the world" movies that came out this summer - Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was vastly superior to War of the Worlds.

Two quick things about the movie to vent on.

It bothered me that after the alien "lightning" all electrical things (including cars and watches) stopped working but somehow people's cameras and video cams still functioned. I was willing to believe the whole premise until I saw that. It destroyed my suspension of belief. [sarcasm off]

After Mystic River and now War of the Worlds - Tim Robbins is in danger of being typecast as the dim, annoying guy who the audience is actually relieved to see die.

No comments:

Post a Comment