Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Red Sox Moves

The Red Sox made some moves and I expect some more are coming. Here's what I have to say about the moves made yesterday:

- Alan Embree: The Sox DFA'd the 35-year old lefty reliever. That means they have 10-days to trade him or give him his release. I feel bad about this move because I thought Embree had started to turn things around after a horrible start to the season. In July Embree had a 5.04 ERA but his WHIP of 0.94 and his BAA of .200 were very good. Embree will get a shot with another team and I'll remember him mainly for three things; A. he was on the mound in game 7 for the final out against the Yankees last year, B. he was supposed to be the guy Grady Little replaced Pedro with in game 7 in 2003 and C. he was one of Dan Duquette's better trades. The Sox got Embree in June of 2002 from the Padres in exchange for Brad Baker and Dan Giese. Good luck Alan. And thanks.

- Adam Hyzdu: Embree's roster spot was taken by Hyzdu who was acquired from San Diego for minor league righthander Scott Cassidy. This is basically a trade of flotsam for jetsam. I don't expect Hyzdu to remain with the big club once all the moves are made.

- Tony Graffanino: The Sox picked up Graffanino from the Royals in exchange for minor leaguers outfielder Chip Ambres and pitcher Juan Cedeno. I like Graffanino but I can't explain why. Graffanino had 7 win shares for the Royals, compare that to just 4 for Mark Bellhorn. Compare Graffanino's .377 OBP to Bellhorn's .328 OBP. I really like this move.

I know yesterday I said that Cora could fill 2nd just fine and that the Sox need not acquire a Graffanino or a Hudson but I was wrong and I did not realize Theo Epstein would be able to acquire Graffanino so cheaply. Graffanino was the player the Twins really should have traded for instead of rolling the dice on Bret Boone.

Some have speculated that acquiring Graffanino spells the end for Mark Bellhorn. If true - then I have to credit Epstein for having a huge pair of balls. Embree was a valued member of the Sox for a number of years and Epstein DFA's him because his work in the bullpen this year didn't warrant a roster spot. Epstein pulled the trigger. Likewise, Bellhorn's work at 2nd this year doesn't warrant the playing time he's gotten. Will Epstein pull the trigger here too?

Is Kevin Millar next? Epstein seems to have identified the weak spots and is setting out to strengthen them. Oh how I hope Kevin Millar is next.

Two rumors worthy of comment - the AJ Burnett and JC Romero. Put me in the camp that would rather hold onto Bronson Arroyo rather than trade for the oft-injured free-agent to be Burnett. Truly a case of a bird in the hand. In regards to the JC Romero for Bill Mueller - I don't like the idea. Mueller's mere presence is something this team of "idiots" truly needs. He's the quiet professional. While I understand he may not be here next year when Kevin Youkilis takes over 3rd - he's worth much more to a championship run than JC Romero ever would.

No comments:

Post a Comment