Monday, September 20, 2004

The Ryan Fitzpatrick Heisman Watch

This year there are no clear favorites for the Heisman Trophy. That means that we could have a Gordie Lockbaum / Joe Dudek type push for a non-1A player with a good story. I'm putting forth QB Ryan Fitzpatrick of Harvard as this darkhorse candidate.

Fitzpatrick started off the year with a pedestrian 7-15 performance for 79 yards against Holy Cross but his numbers are mitigated by the fact that Harvard won the game 35-0.

Fitzpatrick is the real deal. He's got an NFL arm, NFL size, he can run and he's smart (duh - he goes to Harvard). I would look for Harvard to go undefeated this year and that means some exposure for Fitzpatrick.

Now I'm not saying that he'll win the Heisman but I do want him to get some votes. I also want you to remember where you first heard of Ryan Fitzpatrick years from now when he's playing on Sunday.

No comments:

Post a Comment