Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Rathergate - the Godfather III Theory
Vincent Mancini : Don Lucchesi, you are a man of finance and politics. These things I don't understand.
Don Lucchesi : You understand guns?
Vincent Mancini : Yes.
Don Lucchesi : Finance is a gun. Politics is knowing when to pull the trigger

Do you recall in Godfather III when Michael (Al Pachino) is unexpectedly hospitalized and in his absence his sister Connie (Talia Shire) authorized a "hit" on Joe Zasa by Vincent (Andy Garcia)?

I think something similar may have happened to cause RatherGate. (Excuse me while I put on my tin-foil hat and pajamas.)

The current Godfather of the Democratic Party gets suddenly hospitalized (Bill Clinton). While he is incapacitated - his wife (who may just as well be his sister at this point with seperate beds and all) authorized a "hit" to be carried out by the Godfather's protege (Terry McAuliffe). Just like in the movie - the "hit" was very public (in the movie it was during an Italian festival and here it was on national TV).

Just like in the movie - I don't think Hillary had anything to do with the planning or execution of the "hit" (Connie said "Just do it" in the movie). Just like in the movie - the Godfather gets out of the hospital - sees what they have wrought and says "this is not what I wanted".

The only thing that is confusing to me is the fact that in the movie it was clear that the "hit" was on Joe Zasa but here I'm not so sure if the intended target was George W. Bush or John Kerry.
Michael Corleone : Never hate your enemies. It affects your judgment
It may be me but I think certain people's hate of George Bush (hello Dan Rather - I'm talking to you) definitely affected their judgement here.

No comments:

Post a Comment