Saturday, September 11, 2004

Blogging on 9/11

Originally I planned to do no blogging on 9/11 out of respect for the fallen. However, after some thought I have decided that this wouldn't be honest.

It is not like I will spend the entire day in black and in mourning. My girls have dance class, my wife has to lead Girlscouts, and I plan to tailgate at the Holy Cross football game and later watch the Red Sox. I will be mindful of the anniversary all day but my life will go on. I don't think it would be honest to pretend otherwise.

I lost my father when I was in high school and my mother after college. I still remember to visit the gravesites on the anniversaries of their deaths but life has to go on. It is part of the healing process.

Ask yourself - what did you do this past December 7th to remember the fallen at Pearl Harbor? Don't feel guilty if you didn't do anything - looking forward and not back is part of what makes America great.

I consider myself a history buff but I realize that you cannot live in the past. As I write these words it is less than one-hour to the time when the first plane hit three years ago. I am mindful of that. I will not allow myself to ever forget but I will also not forget to be grateful for my life of liberty and I will do my best to live that life to the fullest.

No comments:

Post a Comment