Monday, May 17, 2004

Gay Marriage

Since this is all anyone in Boston is talking about today - I thought I'd weigh in with my $.02.

I have no problem with gay marriage whatsoever.

I have never met a gay person (or even heard of a gay person) who says something like, "I can remember the day I decided to be gay." Every gay person I have ever met said that they were just born that way and that they were always gay. If that is the way God made them - who are we to discriminate against them and deny them the same rights everyone else enjoys?

To me - it would be like allowing everyone to get a drivers license except people who have red hair.

I see couples who have been together 20-years getting married and saying that this is the happiest day of their lives. I think "How great for them!" and then I think "How sad!" that these folks have had to live as second class couples for the past 20 years.

I know the religious arguments but I also know that most of the verses from Scripture that damn homosexuality as an abomination go on to damn shellfish in almost the very next line. I wonder why these folks protesting gay marriage never protest outside of a Red Lobster?

The State of Nevada made a big mistake. They should have OK'd gay marriage before Massachusetts because the amount of gay marriage packages to Las Vegas would have gone through the roof. Las Vegas hasn't fully recovered from the effects to travel due to 9/11. Couples would have been flying in from all over the country. This could have been a big boon to the economy (instead Massachusetts is getting all the extra cash from hotel rooms / restaurants / etc).

No comments:

Post a Comment