Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Red Sox / Patriots Comparison

I made the following comment to a post Alex had over at A Couple of Bleacher Seats:
Alex - I understand the concern over the injuries but in some ways doesn't what's happening with the Sox remind you of how the Patriots started their season? You have the injuries to Roosevelt Colvin and to the offensive line but those injuries actually made the team stronger over the long run (potentially the same can be said of the Trot / Nomar injuries).

People started off the season concerned about the arm strength of Tom Brady just like most folks are concerned with Pedro's velocity.

We had the vocal leader come in from a West Coast team (Rodney Harrison / Schilling) and finally many of the players played under the realization that the team wasn't going to overpay anyone (is Nomar the Red Sox version of Ty Law?)

The more I think of the analogy - the more I like it (although I think a Belichick / Francona comparison may be a bit of a stretch).

EDIT: The more I think of the idea - the less I like it (forget I ever brought it up)

No comments:

Post a Comment