Thursday, May 13, 2004

Anguilla

(Please note that I have been trying to profile one country per day in an effort to better educate myself about the world we live in. I am sharing the facts I find most interesting because like all bloggers I just assume that what interests me also interests you.)



- From the CIA World Factbook - "Colonized by English settlers from Saint Kitts in 1650, Anguilla was administered by Great Britain until the early 19th century, when the island - against the wishes of the inhabitants - was incorporated into a single British dependency, along with Saint Kitts and Nevis. Several attempts at separation failed. In 1971, two years after a revolt, Anguilla was finally allowed to secede; this arrangement was formally recognized in 1980, with Anguilla becoming a separate British dependency."

- Anguilla is located east of Puerto Rico and is about 102 sq km in area (making the island about half the size of Washington, DC). The island nation (technically an overseas territory of the UK) has a population of about 13,000.

- The economy mostly depends mostly on tourism, off-shore banking and money sent back to the island by (ohh my God - what a shot by Derek Fisher!)...

- The per capita GDP is about $8,600 (which is less than Mexico but more than Lithuania).

No comments:

Post a Comment